The API Challenges
A learning environment to experiment, explore, and play with API Testing and Tooling
Welcome to The API Challenges.
- A functioning API for you to practice API Testing
- A set of challenges to guide you in learning API Testing
- A multi-user playground to experiment within
- API documentation to read and learn from
- A gamified learning experience, with challenge status persisted between sessions
About the Application
This is a functional API for managing A public To-Do list.
The API has documentation available.
A set of Challenges are available to guide you through the exploration and learning of the API. To complete each challenge you will have to explore a different aspect of API testing.
You can also view the data in the application without using the API. Using the Entities Explorer view.
We recommend that you use an API GUI to interact with the API e.g.
This application has been deployed to a cloud instance. It is also available to download and run locally.
When run in a cloud environment:
- the data clears itself every 10 minutes
- other people might be using it so you can't rely on data existing between requests
- you need to create an
X-CHALLENGERsession to track your progress on the challenges (more info)
In single user mode, you can use the API without needing any extra headers or configuration.
Full download details are available from eviltester.com/apichallenges
How to Play in Multi-user Mode
More information on how to play the challenges in multi-user mode i.e.
apichallenges.herokuapp.com can be found on the multi-user instructions page:
The Challenges can be completed by issuing HTTP API requests.
GET http://localhost:4567/todos would complete the challenge to "GET the list of todos"
You can also
GET http://localhost:4567/challenges to get the list of challenges and their status as an API call.
Note: you would use the url for the server that the application is running on.
Recommended books for learning about API Testing are: